Friday 29 April 2011

I'm not dead yet! (7/26/2009)

Originally posted to Facebook on Wednesday, August 26, 2009
 
Believe it or not, sensation and feeling are NOT the same thing. Just because I can't feel it when you run a feather across my legs doesn't mean it doesn't hurt when I smack my knee against the wall or somebody stands on my toes, or worse, pulls on this stupid catheder that I want out!
Don't tell me I'm full of shit when I tell you my feet hurt or my leg is sore, especially when you STAND there with your clipboard and white smock feeling o so superior to those pathetic saps stupid enough to end up here.
Unless you experience it yourself you shall never truly know, and I hope to god you never have to find out.
I have feeling in my lower body, what I don't have is sensation or movement. But that doesn't mean I'm dead. Quite the opposite. I don't NEED you to do anything for me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the offer, but please do offer.
DON'T just take it upon yourself to jump in and make things more difficult. DON'T come up behind me and just start pushing, especially when I'm only going that way to get to the ramp! Ask and if I say 'No thanks' good enough. If I need help, I'll ask. That is not to say don't bother holding a door or any other comman courtesy, I'd do that for anyone including the able bodied.
And don't change you voice when you talk to me, start talking sloower. Paralysed, not retarded. Even if I was retarded, I still wouldn't appreciate it. Gimped, slow, or just dumb, we're all human and deserve to be treated as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment