Friday 29 April 2011

The Best Weekend In A Long Time (6/21/2009)

The Best Weekend In A Long Time

Originally posted to Facebook on Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 9:02pm
 
I had a great weekend. Saturday was the Vermilion car show, so of course I had my truck there. Early in the day it looked like it might rain, but it cleared up and was HOT! I ended up with a bit of a sunburn, but it's already turned to a tan. There wasn't a huge amount of vehicles there, probably partially due to the weather, but there were some nice ones. They had sign which said "Please Do Not Touch" where you register, so of course I took one and crossed out do not and wrote underneath so it said "Please ------ Touch! You Can't Hurt Anything Anyway!"
One of the definite highlights of this weekend, and probably this whole year, was when Dave Mitchel from Lloydminster let me sit in his '68 Vette (4-Speed, 327, Convertable) and got a picture. I was a little worried about scratching something trying to get in and also about the leg burners down the side, but he said not to worry. I suppose where there's a will there's a way, because the transfer went supprisingly easy. The car sat about a foot lower than my chair and there was about a foot between the edge of the cab and the seat. So put my legs in first and lowered myself beside the seat, then into the seat. He moved my chair, closed the door, and took the picture. After he moved the chair back in place and helped me back in.
The rest of the day went good too. My brother and I both won awards in our classes (Me for my truck, and my brother for his bike). We still had to get ready for the next day.

Sunday morning we woke up at 8:30am, late! We had to get to Vegreville before before 10, and it's an hour drive. We still had stuff to do before we left. My brother went out to start the truck and came back in about 30 seconds later to let us know that sometime during the night some drunk guy decided to pass out across the seat. The dog quickly chased him off. There was also an overcast and it looked like rain. We finally got going and arrived in Vegreville around 10:00. We unloaded my truck and got it in place, and my dad and brother went to the grocery store to get some pop and water and ect, and also pick up breakfast from A&W. I looked around a bit while they were gone, and right across from us was Dave Mitchel (The guy with the Vette). And parked beside us was the gentleman with the '50 Ford we met a few years ago in Elk Point who liked my flathead so much. The rain was teasing us all day, a few sprinkles here and there, but it never did actually rain.
I got lots of pictures, but a lot of the vehicles on display should have been in the parking lot. Seriously, an '88 LeBaron? So one of the tennis balls out of my lovely non-functioning fake alcohol injection syetem mysteriously dissapeared. O joy. At about 12:30 my brother and I went to watch the demolition derby. The first heat was like watcing grass grow, the second was a little better, but not by much.They only ran like 3 or 4 cars at a time! Then they did some flat track bike racing. That was ok. Then they had some booooring RC BS, so we went back to the truck. Once we got there I that the missing tennis ball had been returned. We went to get some food from one of the concession booths and once there I found that I had lost my camera. We retraced my steps, sort of speak, to no avail. We went to the booth where we registered and asked if anyone had turned it in. They took a description of the camera and my name and phone number and said if anyone found it, they'd call.
After looking around a bit more we went back to watch the rest of the demolition derby. 1st the 4 cylinders, boring again, then the trucks. They ran all the trucks at the same time. There were 10 and that was a good show. These guys actually got after it. We went back to the truck and wandered around a bit more before they started handing out awards. I got $30 worth of fuel from FastGas, which pretty much payed for the trip. No trophies for us today, but that's ok.
We loaded up and got ready to go. After we finally got out of there and got about a block away, my phone rang. They had found my camera! All day it seemed like it was going to be bad, then turned out pretty good. The rain held off and we had fun. All and all, it was a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment